As a networking NGO and a proponent for strengthening civil society, JANIC's activities have revolved around the following activities:
- Coordinate meetings and cooperation among JANIC’s official member NGOs.
- Cooperation with other network NGOs.
- Cooperation with NGOs overseas.
Promote Partnership among NGOs
- Provide capacity building opportunities for NGO staff by offering training programs.
- Raise awareness on accountability and Social Responsibility issues.
- Promotion of Accountability Self Check 2008 (a self-assessment framework developed by JANIC to member NGOs).
Strengthen Capacity and Social Responsibility of NGOs
- Research and Advocacy on Japanese ODA’s aid effectiveness and on CSO development effectiveness.
- Campaign for the realization of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs): Japan Action to End Poverty - MDGs2015
- Create a space for advocacy and campaigne for IMF & World Bank Annual Meetings which will be held in Tokyo on October 2012.
- Serve as the focal point and secretariat for the formal meetings between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan(MoFA) and Japan International Cooperation Agency(JICA).
Policy Advocacy and Campaign
For more details, please refer to this page.
- Operation of NGO-Citizens Information Center to provide various NGO information to the public.
- Coordination of Global Festa, the biggest annual festival for international cooperation held in Tokyo, co-organized with the MoFA and JICA.
- Participation in various events related to international cooperation.
- Organization of lectures regarding international cooperation and NGOs.
- Publication of “Synergy” which is JANIC's journal related to the latest NGO activities and recent NGO trends.
- Updating the NGO Directory through the website.
- Publication of NGO Data Book and many other books on NGOs.
Promote Support and Participation by Citizens with NGOs
Promoting Dialogue and Networking with Other Sectors of Society
JANIC collaborates with other social institutions which are concerned with international assistance (or international common cause). It includes international centers (or sections) of local governments, enterprises, and labor unions. JANIC provides them with necessary information and advice concerning international voluntary activities at the grassroots level. Also, JANIC has served as the secretariat for both the NGO-Trade Union International Collaboration Forum since 2004 and the NGO Network for CSR Promotion since 2008.
- Information Sharing: Information Collection and Provision
- Inter-NGO Coordination and Coordination between NGOs and External Supporters including Funding Agencies and Private Companies
- Negotiation and Collaboration with Different Sectors
- Coordination Activities at the Prefectural levels
JANIC Taskforce for Disaster Response：
Project Period: March. 12, 2011 - March 11, 2012
For more details, please refer to "Japan Earthquake and Tsunami NGO Information Site".